Friday, November 18, 2011

Television

I babysit. Which I enjoy, most of the time. Mainly I like it for the steady income, but sometimes the kids say funny things, which is always amusing. Every time I go to one family's house, they are always watching TV. Either it is the kids watching channels like Nick jr or the parents watching shows such as General Hospital. It's really been an eye opener for me on how much those who produce TV work on getting their own worldviews and opinions into the minds of the innocent child. Even in seemingly harmless shows such as Dora the Explorer, children are being taught things that we as Christians know to be wrong. For instance, on one Dora show, the whole theme was "magic" and having to say the magic word "abracadabra" for anything to happen. Although this doesn't seem like a huge deal, it instills in the mind of the child that magic is a harmless fun things on TV, which it is certainly not. Also, many TV shows work on cultivating the "green" idea in children. Not that being Green is necessarily wrong: protecting the environment is definitely important. But it promotes the idea that we are equal to the earth and "mother nature." So. I do not know how useful this insight is into your daily life, considering the fact that you do not (I hope) watch those sort of shows any longer, and you hopefully will not be having kids anytime soon, but I do think it is important to always be aware, and, like the apostle Paul tells us, to always test whatever we hear.

1 comment: