Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Friendship


I have some really good friend. Recently, I have been thinking a lot about what makes a good friend. And since the way you get friends is by being a friend, I wrote a list of do’s and don’ts of being a good friend. Of course, these are not set in stone, but I think they provide pretty good guidelines for friendship. Feel free to comment if you have other suggestions!

Be a good listener: It’s not all about you

Be trustworthy: If they tell you a secret, keep it secret

Be respectful of their wishes: If they want you to do stop doing something, stop (e.g. nicknames: if they hate it, don’t call them it)

Be a good influence: If you suspect or know your friend is doing something wrong, gently tell them that what they are doing isn’t a good idea. Don’t support bad decisions. This one is extremely important, and I think many people believe that as long as they don’t actively encourage the person to be bad, then they’re ok. That’s not true. Standing by and watching or laughing while your friend does something wrong is the same thing as encouraging them. Please. Encourage them to do what is right.

Be selfless: Care more for others than for yourself 

Be honest: A good friend tells the truth in love “An honest answer is the sign of true friendship."

Be considerate: Become aware of touchy subjects for your friend and avoid them

Don’t gossip or backstab: This is one of the easiest ways to ruin a friendship. If you think your friend is immature, THE WHOLE WORLD DOESN’T NEED TO KNOW.  :)

Don’t be bossy or pushy: the last thing your friend wants is you to tell them “do this” and “do that.” Advise your friend, but don’t tell her/him they have to do something.

Don’t hold grudges: Forgive and forget

Don’t judge: Be understanding with the mistakes your friend makes. Remember: how would you want to be treated if you were in their place?

TALK: If you think something is wrong with your friendship, or you’re mad at them, tell them. Don’t just keep it too yourself. Discuss it and work it out

2 comments:

  1. I agree...good post!

    This is ur bro Nathan btw.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's great Claire! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete